Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Stories & Songs | Ben Rector - Ordinary Love

Don't you love it? You find out about an artist, listen to some of their music, get addicted to it, and forever look back on that day as "the day I became a fan of [insert artist's name]!!"

That day was only a couple weeks ago with Ben Rector.

And boy, was I hooked. Immediately. There are a handful of singer/songwriter/musicians out there who are not that well known, but should be...and Ben Rector is one of them.

I think I found out about Ben through a friend of a friend, or maybe some acquaintance's Instagram or Twitter or Facebook...at any rate, somewhere on the world wide web. I listened to some of his music a few months ago and liked it (a little), but pretty much forgot about it. Then my sister, Sarah, re-discovered him a few weeks ago and really liked what she heard, so of course she told me about it. And then we both started to get really excited, because Ben was releasing a new album called The Walking In Between - soon!

Long story short, we could. not. wait for August 20th!! Especially after hearing a few short clips from live performances of the new songs. The day fiiiiiiinally arrived - yesterday! - and we eagerly listened to the preview on iTunes. I think I'm going to have to buy the whole record eventually, but for now I'm going to listen to this one particular song over and over and over and over.

It's called Ordinary Love. And it's wonderfully opposite from so many songs out there that speak of wanting fame, fortune, and relationships where everything is perfect. Instead, Ben masterfully writes of looking for a ordinary life, an ordinary love, because there is such beauty in it. As Ben wrote on his website, "...I hope you turn “Ordinary Love” up too loud and after the second or third listen understand and feel what about those words made me want to sing them."



I don’t want to be no star
Have fame on the boulevard
No, that’s not what I’m looking for

I don’t need shiny things
Or love from a movie screen
But I tell you what I really want

Oh oh, oh oh
Give me an ordinary love
That I touch, that I hold
Give me an ordinary love

I don’t live in the hills
And I probably never will
But that won’t keep me up at night
Because she’s dancing like a fool
Across my living room
Whenever I’m with you
My heart is singing

Oh oh, oh oh
Give me an ordinary love
That I touch, that I hold
Give me an ordinary love

Keep those fancy things
Keep your magazines
I don’t even want what I’m chasing
Because all I know
Is that ordinary love is what we’re made for

Oh oh oh oh
Give me an ordinary love
That I touch that I hold
Give me an ordinary love


For the love of music and the glory of God,
Rebekah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear from you! :) (Note: apparently commenting doesn't work on Firefox; try Safari or Explorer first if you can.)