Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Stories & Songs - Christmas Edition! | The Piano Guys

How could you possibly not love The Piano Guys?! YouTube sensations and incredibly talented musicians, cellist Steven Sharp Nelson and pianist Jon Schmidt (together with videographer/producer Paul Anderson and music producer/songwriter Al Van Der Beek) have delighted millions of people with their music over the last few years.

The day after Christmas two years ago, we gathered with some friends to enjoy an evening of music, food, and fellowship. Most of us were classical musicians, and there were several pianists in the group - but we also had some violinists and a cellist! That cellist asked if any of the pianists could sight read, and I said sure, I'd be glad to. He handed me a stack of music, and I gasped when I looked at the top:

"O Come, O Come Emmanuel...............arranged by Steven Sharp Nelson and Marshall McDonald"

"STEVEN SHARP NELSON!!!! You've got to be kidding me!!!! We're about to play something arranged by Steven Sharp Nelson?!?!?"

We did. It was quite an experience, because it's an absolutely gorgeous arrangement. I fumbled my way through the piano accompaniment, while our cellist friend played the melody. As soon as we got home that night, I downloaded The Piano Guys' recording on iTunes. Here it is!






Well, that was a couple years ago...and just a couple weeks ago, the guys released a new Christmas video! In the same style as their One Direction - What Makes You Beautiful cover, they (all!) play Angels We Have Heard on High on a piano! Enjoy!




For the love of music and the glory of God,
Rebekah

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that music is gorgeous! It's my favorite of all you've posted so far!

    Blessings!
    Zibber

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'd love to hear from you! :) (Note: apparently commenting doesn't work on Firefox; try Safari or Explorer first if you can.)